BLESSED in the eyes of the Lord
July 6, 2017
What does “being blessed” mean for you? Is it having a new car? Business growth? Job promotion? Most people consider these as blessings. So if you have all of these, do you think you are blessed enough? Let’s find out what is the true meaning of being BLESSED in the eyes of the Lord.
What are the qualities of those who are BLESSED?
Luke 14:11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
- Blessed are the poor in spirit– These are people who have humbled themselves and realized that they’re not worthy of God’s blessings and salvation. We need to realize and admit that we are spiritually poor and we should humble ourselves before the Lord. When a person does this, he or she becomes very rich in spirit in the eyes of God.
Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”
- Blessed are those who mourn – If we’re walking with Jesus, we become extremely sorry when we do something out of line with the work of God. We mourn because of the sins we have committed. Those who mourn shall be comforted by God, that is a promise from the Lord. Even if you commit sin, you’re still blessed by the Lord, just acknowledge your fault.
- Blessed are the meek/gentle – Assertiveness is what the world requires, but in the eyes of the Lord, being gentle is enough.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness – These are people who are longing to do good for other people. They are people who are satisfied by doing what is right. Some people get satisfaction with money, their desires and other material things; but they don’t know that only God can truly satisfy people. God will give the desire of our hearts.
Mark 12:30 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.
- Blessed are those people who are merciful – They are full of mercy for their fellowmen. They’re following the great commandment of the Lord, which is love your neighbor as yourself. They’re obeying it and living with it.
These are five qualities we should have for us to be called BLESSED in the eyes of the Lord. Do not forget that it’s not just by our goodness, but by the grace of God that we are going to have salvation.