A successful relationship between a man and a woman involves a lot of factors. Both the man and the woman have equal contributions to it. The most important of these factors is having a proper self-image. A lot of us often overlook this truth. Many fail to realize that the way they see themselves has a huge effect on their relationship.
How Proper Self-Image Builds a Successful Relationship
Having a proper self-image means having a positive attitude towards yourself and others. It means appreciating your worth while behaving responsibly with those around you. It is more of having self-respect than being self-absorbed. However, just like any other skill, developing a proper self-image also takes time and practice.
Now, how does proper self-image help build a successful relationship? When you have a proper self-image, you are able to display a positive attitude and treat your partner well. Here are some ways that a proper self-image helps build a successful relationship:
- You don’t criticize, blame, or shame your partner
- You accept your partner as they are
- You know how to praise and appreciate your partner genuinely
- You know that mistakes are part of life and that the important thing is that you are both willing to change
Tips to Develop a Proper Self-Image
You first have to change the way you think about yourself before you can change your circumstances. Positive thinking helps you see yourself honestly and accept and love yourself. It helps you remove your internal barriers so you can start doing your best.
Here are some tips to develop a positive self-image:
- Shake off negative thoughts
- Highlight your strengths and assets
- Accept your flaws and mistakes then move on and correct them
- Encourage yourself more
- Accept that some things are beyond your control
- Be kind to yourself
- Take a break regularly so you don’t feel burnt out
- Believe that you can do the things you pray for
- Learn to forgive and forget
You see, when you have a proper self-image, you see the person you love the same way you see yourself. And this is what helps build a successful relationship. Of course, on top of it all, putting God at the center of your relationship is truly what will make it successful.